Sunday, October 26, 2014

Driftwood curiosity.

The window sill was full of junk.

Arranged in some sort of pattern were miscellaneous finds.




The objects were certainly curiosities.

The objects were perhaps memory aids.

The objects were perhaps an artist's exhibition.

There were no legends to explain.

We will have to assemble our own meaning.

The collection certainly attested to a love of nature.

In no apparent order there were:

Collections of shells.

Broken clock mechanisms.

Pebbles from a beach.

An asparagus fern.

A driftwood stallion.

There was nothing of any saleable value. 

The objects were beyond value.

Shall we call it a treasure chest of scrap?

Shall we call it an animistic shrine?

Here lies buried, a story-teller's hoard.

For today, I shall keep the plot simple.

I will not weary you with interpretation.

I beg your forgiveness.

I don't suppose you will see interest here.

I don't suppose you will see value here.

How can one be attached to a piece of driftwood?

I am content you see no value.

I see myself standing on a beach.

You have left me quite alone.

Objects are washed up by the ocean.

Something catches my eye.

I bend down to pick it up.

It will spin my yarn a while.

Gulls' cry in the wind.

There is a strong smell of brine.

Waves crash on the shore.

Pebbles drawl.

I am home.




8 comments:

  1. Some of these driftwood sculptures of horses are actually bronze! http://www.heatherjansch.com/bronzes.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Howard! Not the ones I have in mind. Nice sculpture :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always had a place in my heart for driftwood. My dad loved sailboats, he had a small one, and we were on the water a lot. He died when I was eight, and I always associate water and driftwood and such with him. Definitely not value-less. :) Great post, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gives a new beautiful take on driftwood. Thanks Susan.

      Delete
  4. Drifting through the waves and the weather twisted the wood to reveal its essence. Hard, twisted, pared down. Each piece with its own story but when combined they are much greater than the sum of their parts. Beautiful! Small pieces loosely joined....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that 'small pieces loosely joined" thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe it's a bit like Michelangelo seeing a sculpture in the stone? Your words paint a detailed visual.

    Recently spotted one of these horses idly standing in St George Utah, made of desert dried wood (lacking an ocean to drift it)


    http://flic.kr/p/rUHcdZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's more childsplay, Michelangelo is for my taste a bit heroic :-)

      Delete